Health Stores ->
|You said that you fell down while painting the roof, your hand twisted and now your hinge is badly swelled and extremely painful. Well! I know what it is; itís sprain (strain). Sprain is usually described as damage to the tissue between muscles and bones (ligament) by overstretching or twisting.|
|There are no alternative names given to Sprains (strains).|
|Sprains are damage to the ligaments that hold the bones together. This usually happens when people fall; twist their joints too hard and even while playing.|
|Almost anyone and everyone could get a sprain (strain) but people with weak ligaments are more exposed to it.|
|Symptoms & Signs|
- Pain and swelling are the most immediate symptoms of sprain (strain).
- Discoloration or bruising of the injured area.
- Bleeding into the tissues, which cause swelling.
- Difficulties in the movement of the affected joint confirm the presence of sprain and a doctor should be consulted at once or a home remedy should be applied, I would prefer a doctor.
|The diagnosis of a sprain (strain) is very easy and simple. It can be made by observing its symptoms, and would at the most require for an x-ray.|
|The following golden rules could help you avoid sprains (strain) to a large extent
- Choosing the right foot wear, that is shoes with nonskid soles, low healed shoes etc.
- Choosing a well lightened and clear path.
- Using hand rails on the stairways at home.
- Make sure to buy rugs with nonskid backing.
- Avoid walking on slippery floor.
- Use rubber mats on the bathroom floor.
- A support in the bathroom especially near the bathtub and shower area could save you from falling and slipping.
- Use non skid wax for cleaning the floor.
- Avoid extreme physical activities.
- Be careful while using a ladder.
|For home treatment always keep in mind the R.I.C.E method. This method is as follows
In addition to this a physician may be consulted, who may prescribe certain painkillers or an anti-inflammatory. A physiotherapist would help in gaining the health back through appropriate mobilizing and strengthening exercises.
- Rest shall be given to the injured part of the body.
- Ice packs for about 15-20m minutes every few hours for the first 2-3 days will help in reducing the swelling.
- Compression bandages around the affected area will also lessen the swelling.
- Elevation of the affected area above the heart level keeps the blood circulating.
|Primary Natural Supplements|
- Coenzyme Q10
|Secondary Natural Supplements|
- Ginkgo biloba
- Grape seed extract
|Other Natural Supplements|
|A balanced diet is a key to all. But in the case of a sprain (strain) make sure that your diet has an abundance of proteins, poultry, sea food and low fat dairy products.|
| Home Care Suggestions|
|Immediately apply icepacks and support the sprain (strain) with a proper bandage. Later on keep on applying alternating hot and cold packs to stimulate blood circulation.|
|Try to ease off the stress after elevating the injured area. If you feel more pain try lowering the tension.|